Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Lowering expectations

 I think when we're younger we have all these plans of what we'd like to do and accomplish. We have great visions of how we'll make the world a better place and then Motherhood comes along.

   In some ways I still drive to make the world a better place. I try to raise my children so people feel better for having known them. Hubby and I try to teach them right from wrong, good from evil, you know the basic parenting stuff.

    But for myself I've lowered my expectations, a lot. It doesn't take much to make me happy now. If I get to eat my cereal before it's soggy, it's like winning the lottery (I actually plan my cereal purchase to be something that takes a long time to get soggy). I used to want to wear nice clothes and look good. Now, if it fits and it's on sale, I'm a happy camper! 

    So I guess some would say I've "settled", but is that really such a bad thing? Maybe it's just better to be happy w/ the little things in life instead of be miserable about the things we can't have?

1 comment:

Charlene Juliani said...

I think you hit the nail on the head, sometimes it's so easy to think of all the things we want out of life, instead of just being happy with what we already have.