Thursday, January 6, 2011

The best things in life are free

 It's funny how often this rings true when kids are involved. They love the big box a gift came in. They'll happily visit the park and just run amok on the playground. In short, they're just happy to be happy (boy howdy can we all take a lesson from their playbook or what?)

   This week has been a cold one, not so cold you can't play outside for a little while (once you're all bundled up) but cold enough to freeze the water puddles and make a nice place to "ice skate" I remember many a winter day "ice skating" on the big frozen puddles that were around our farm. I say "ice skating" because there were no ice skates, just ice and slippery soles on your boots. We did have a pair of ice skates here or there, but the slippery boots were just as fun. And as a child you're sure you look *almost" as good as Dorothy Hamill did when she skated. (yes I know I just gave away my age)

   So Little Man and Baby Girl have been having just as much fun on our very own puddles the last couple of days. They've used sticks and leaves to play hockey. They've spun *gracefully* in circles (ok so maybe more like whirling out of control tops on a freshly Pledged wooden floor). They probably spent as much time on their fannies as they did their feet, but that's ok. As for me, I've loved watching them "skate". It brings back memories from my childhood and makes me stop and smile for a minute. 
                               This picture is a little blurry, but I love the big belly laugh
                                                                                              Little Man is having

                                                                           Just "skating" along
    So in this time of everyone's house looking like Toys 'R Us threw up all over the place (or maybe that's just my house that looks like that after Christmas) it's been nice to be reminded of the simple pleasures in life. They're free and they're precious and as adults, we need to soak them up when we can.  I hope you cold weather moms are able to get out there, find a puddle and pretend you're Katerina Witt, if only for a short time, with your kiddos .
 

No comments: