Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I made some money

    and well I spent some too, but I think I almost broke even. I've been shopping at this local, three times a year, consignment sale for the past few years now. I always seem to find some good deals, but I knew I was missing some good deals too because if you are a consignor you get first dibs on the sale. So this time I bit the bullet and decided to spend the $10 consignor fee and sell some of Little Man and Baby Girls clothes at the sale as well as buy stuff.

    It's pretty simple you just fill out your registration on line, pay your $10 fee and start entering the clothes you want to sell. They do provide guidance on what prices to sell your clothes at. $1-$2 for basics from say Walmart, Target, $2-$3 for JCPenny, the higher end dept stores $3-$5 for gymbo, Janie and Jack, that type of place. If you're going to be a consignor, try to follow those guidelines, remember people are looking for deals, so if you're priced too high, you're stuff is going to sit on the rack. Once you've entered everything you want to sell into your computer (this really isn't that hard, I'm not very computer literate, but managed to make out just fine) then you can print out your tickets, use card stock, this way your tickets won't tear off and land on the floor.

    Some sales have their last day as a 1/2 price day, so you'll need to decide if you're going to do 1/2 price (I'd suggest doing that, you've already done all that work, at least try to re-coop some money for your efforts. Also you'll need to decide if you want to have the items not sold donated or if you'll be back to pick them up once the sale is over.

   The sale I did I got 60% of the sale price. If you volunteer you get another 10%. Also if you volunteer (at least at this sale) you get the 1st chance to shop. So it really does pay to take a 3 hour shift. Also for us SAHMs it's a great excuse to get out and talk with other mommies.

   In the end I made about $35. I spent about $33 between the pre-sale and the 1/2 price sale. So not too shabby. Yes, you could say after you factor in the $10 to register it cost me money, but... I didn't really spend a lot of money on the clothes I sold (most were from the last consignment sale) and I was able to get first dibs on the sale so I got some great deals that may have been gone before I got there had I not been able to shop the pre-sales. All in all it was a good experience and I'll most likely do it again in the fall. 

   So if you're interested google consignment sales in your area and see what pops up. You might just find a new way to make a few dollars on out grown clothes.

No comments: