Monday, May 23, 2011

My poor garden

    We've had nothing but rainy, cold, damp weather for the most part this spring. The few days of sun we've had, haven't really been enough to till the garden and get it planted. The up side to that was the lettuce reseeded it's self. So I got out the rototiller (the one my PopPop used on his garden) and tilled up a row to move the lettuce to. Onions had restarted themselves, so I put those in the row too.

    Last Thursday it was dry enough, Pop could disk the garden for me. It was too wet to plow, so I got the tiller out and tilled up enough for peas, radishes, stringbeans, beets and carrots. And then the dry weather was over. The lettuce is still fairing well. Some of the stringbeans came up, but I'm thinking I'll have to replant most the row. Not sure about the peas yet. I *think* they're coming up since it's a straight row of something growing there.

      This is what my garden should look like by now




I should have radishes ready to harvest. I should have lots of tidy little rows of green. The corn part of the garden should be ready to be planted in the next week or so



 But no, it's just a big muddy mess with some lettuce and a few string beans poking their little heads out. I can't even bring myself to take a picture of it right now.

   So here's hoping that this rain decides it's had enough of dumping on my poor little garden and by this time next week I can plant the tomatoes, peppers and cucumber plants that are sitting in their planting pots just waiting to grow some yummy veggies for us to eat. In the mean time, I'll just be happy my livelihood doesn't depend on the weather conditions and pray for the farmers who do.

1 comment:

Tara said...

I was talking to my mom last night and she said almost the same thing. Of course her garden isn't like yours. She said in almost 3 weeks they've probably had 1 or 2 days of sun. It's just been cloudy, overcast and wet. She's afraid she's going to lose it all.